The Newcastle Herald - Part of Newcastle
The Newcastle Herald - a tabloid morning newspaper published Monday to Saturday - is the only Newcastle-based newspaper serving the entire Hunter and Central Coast regions, six days a week.Part of Newcastle
The Newcastle Herald is the largest local media organisation and the only Newcastle-based newspaper serving the Hunter and Central Coast six days a week, Monday to Saturday.
The newspaper has a long affinity and readership involvement with the region's people. Six days a week, The Newcastle Herald covers local, State, national and world news, sport, finance and business.
The Newcastle Herald delivers substantial reach and is extremely cost effective.
The Newcastle Herald's editorial team strives to ensure that the whole of every newspaper is relevant to readers in the Hunter and Central Coast, as the people in the area rely on their daily newspaper for authoritative news, information and analysis about their community, their society, their country and their world.
The Newcastle Herald Classifieds are the only classifieds published six days a week across the region. Newcastle Newspapers, publishers of The Newcastle Herald and The Star, Coasting magazine, the Port Stephens Examiner and the Lakes Mail is a major employer in the region.
The company boasts a full-time staff of more than 300 and, with the inclusion of casuals and suppliers, injects more than $20million into the Hunter's economy each year.From humble beginnings
The Newcastle Herald had its origins in two early newspapers, The Newcastle Chronicle and Hunter River District News and The Miners Advocate and Northumberland Recorder.
Established in 1858, the Chronicle began as a weekly journal carrying mining, shipping, court and some small items of local news. It cost just sixpence.
In the years that followed it took on more of the appearance of a newspaper, became a bi-weekly and then tri-weekly, and by 1876 its last edition was priced at two pence.
In 1873 in Nelson St, Plattsburg (now part of Wallsend) The Miners Advocate and Northumberland Recorder was first published.
Under the guidance of founder John Miller Sweet, the paper flourished and by 1876 it was a tri-weekly selling for three pence and with a circulation of 4000 copies a week.
John Sweet's father-in-law, James Fletcher, believed the region was ready for a bigger newspaper published daily and persuaded his son-in-law to expand.
The Advocate moved to Bolton St, Newcastle, and on April 3, 1876, the first copies of The Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners Advocate hit the streets.
The first Herald and Advocate masthead was ornate and carried a sketch of a colliery pit-top, including poppet head and chimney.
Such ornate mastheads stayed with The Herald for 104 years, the last major change being on October 6, 1980, when a more modern and simpler masthead was introduced, dropping the "Morning" and "Miners Advocate" from the title.
This was the masthead that appeared until 1998 when, in July, the newspaper became "the compact with impact" after going tabloid in size.
The move to tabloid was an immediate success, and the newspaper's circulation has grown more than 21% since then.