RETIREMENT living and the headquarters for the Catholic Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle have been proposed for the former Mayfield Sport & Recreation Club site.
The club went into receivership and closed just before Christmas last year and it was divided into two parcels of land.
The Catholic Church bought the club and car park at 50 Crebert Street for $1million and development company Bamreta bought the remainder for $1.1million.
David Hughes and David Morgan are the directors of Bamreta, which now owns the land between the rear car park and Industrial Drive, including cricket and baseball ground Jack Findlay Oval.
The land that includes the sporting ground is still zoned 6 (a) Open Space & Recreation, but the developers are hoping to have it rezoned.
The Newcastle Herald understands the development company was interested in putting a seniors-style living estate on the area.
A drawn-out legal battle with development company Tabmec and poor trading resulted in cash-flow problems for the club, which formed in 1930 as the BHP Recreation Club.
The Mayfield site has been earmarked for the new headquarters and would be close to Catholic junior secondary school San Clemente High School.
Headquarters for the Catholic Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle is next to the Sacred Heart in Hunter Street at Newcastle West and is overflowing.