IN a major endorsement, striker Ryan Griffiths hopes Nathan Tinkler stays involved with the Newcastle Jets for the next 20 years.
Griffiths and his teammates were caught in the crossfire of the dispute between Tinkler’s Hunter Sports Group (HSG) and Football Federation Australia (FFA).
The 30-year-old, whose wife Lauren is due to give birth to their second child next month, signed a new two-year deal with the club in February.
He, like most in football-stronghold Newcastle, was stunned when HSG announced that they intended to hand the A-League licence back to the governing body.
A number of community-based ownership models had been flagged as an alternative, but Griffiths had always hoped HSG would continue to run the club.
‘‘It is relief and I’m glad that it has happened,’’ Griffiths said of HSG’s comprise with FFA.
‘‘We did not want the club to be run on the smell of an oily rag. Now we can progress. In my opinion it is the best outcome.
‘‘I really hope Hunter Sports Group stay involved for the next 20 years not 10.’’
Griffiths said the three weeks of uncertainty had been stressful especially during their holiday period.
‘‘I’m glad we can put that to bed now and look forward to training on May 21,’’ he said.