POLICE allege the teenager who stole Nathan Tinkler’s $500,000 Ferrari California last year as well as other luxury vehicles was back at it this week just two months after his release from juvenile detention.
The teenager, who has since turned 18, was arrested at 2.20am yesterday and taken to Toronto police station where he was charged with receiving and driving a stolen 2008 model BMW.
He pleaded not guilty to three charges in a Newcastle bail court yesterday and did not apply for bail.
The teen was sentenced last December to 12 months’ imprisonment with a non-parole period of eight months to be served in a juvenile detention centre for a string of break-ins and car thefts from Merewether addresses.
Among his list of victims in June and July last year were Mr Tinkler, former Newcastle Knights board member and well-known lawyer Nick Dan and Tony McGrath, the chairman of transport company McGrath Newcastle.
The teen told police in an interview at the time about how he tossed up between stealing Mr Tinkler’s Jaguar and Ferrari before deciding on the Ferrari because its speedometer indicated a top speed of 390 km/h.
‘‘Looked at the Jaguar, the top speed I think was 290,’’ the teen told police.
‘‘I thought that goes all right, goes as fast as that BMW almost. BMW went 280. Then I looked at the Ferrari and the Ferrari went 390 and I thought, yeah I’m takin’ this for sure.’’
He then took the Ferrari ‘‘rally-bashing’’ in bush outside Raymond Terrace with some mates before the car caught alight and was destroyed.
The teen is now accused of driving a 2008-model BMW through Toronto on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning after it was stolen from a Coal Point address on Tuesday.
He also pleaded not guilty to driving while never having held a licence and will face Newcastle Local Court in June.