An Australian boy has died in Bali on a snorkelling trip with his family, apparently by drowning.
Authorities on the tourist island said yesterday that Jake Francis McCabe, of Avoca on the NSW Central Coast, had died yesterday morning while snorkelling off Jungut Batu beach at Nusa Lemdongan, an island to the east of the main island of Bali.
It is thought the cause of death was drowning.
Police chief Tri Wahyudi told Fairfax that the boy, who turned 16 last month, and his family had hired a boat to take them from their hotel in Legian to the well known diving, snorkelling and surfing area.
The family had been snorkelling together but the boy stayed out on his own after the rest of his family came in to the beach, he said.
When the boy surfaced, they believe he may have hit his head on a small boat that was anchored near where he was snorkelling.
The boy’s father removed him from the ocean and administered CPR before taking him to hospital on the island, but he was pronounced dead on arrival, the police chief said.
He said the family had not requested an autopsy and planned to fly the boy’s remains back to Australia.
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said it could confirm the death yesterday of a boy from NSW.
"Consular officials from the Australian consulate-general in Bali are providing consular assistance to the teenager’s family in Bali," a spokesman said.
A friend posted the following tribute on Facebook: "RIP. Young Jack McCabe from Avoca. 15yrs, a beautiful life taken tragically today in Bali. Our Love and thoughts are with all the family and so many friends from Kincumber High. RIDE THE SURF JACK. You will be forever missed.xx"
In November last year, Jake Flannery, 18, who was celebrating the end of school, died of electrocution outside Jokers Bar and Grill at Legian Beach in Bali’s Kuta district.