Edgeworth first to lower Jets' colours

A LAST-MINUTE goal from the promoted Zach Hill gave Edgeworth a breakthrough 2-1 win over the Jets Youth team in the Northern NSW State League match at Jack McLaughlan Oval yesterday.

The Eagles, tipped to be a title threat, had two draws and three losses in the opening five rounds but yesterday became the first team to take points off the newcomers.

Coach Gary Wilson, who lost veterans Troy Halpin (retirement) and Scott Thomas (work) during the Eagles’ slow start to the year, opted for a young backline and experienced attack against the Jets and it paid dividends.

With senior players Shane Knight, Mark Wilson and Josh Sparke pushed forward, the Eagles scored first through Hill in the 20th minute with a header from a corner.

Edgeworth had the better of the game and had the numerical advantage with 20 minutes left when Jets A-League regular Jacob Pepper was given a straight red card for a sliding tackle.

But Newcastle levelled through Kale Bradbery, who tapped home a squared ball from Josh Small in the 85th minute. The Eagles then took advantage of some inexperience from the Jets to grab the winner in a goal-mouth scramble from a corner.

Jets assistant coach James Pascoe said the Eagles, beaten 3-0 by Lake Macquarie last week, were the better team.

‘‘They were a vastly different side in personnel and attitude to the team I saw the week before against Lake Macquarie and they thoroughly deserved the win,’’ Pascoe said.

He believed the send-off of Pepper, who came on in the second half with Connor Chapman and Mitchell Oxborrow, did not have a major bearing on the outcome.

‘‘Edgeworth had squandered a couple of open-goal chances before that and they should have been out of sight by that point,’’ he said.

He said the loss would be a learning experience for his under-20 side.

‘‘Once you get yourself back in the game at 1-1, you don’t need to overplay it at the back and give teams a sniff. You need to play at the other end and play smart,’’ he said.

At Lisle Carr Oval yesterday, Hamilton scored a much-needed 3-2 win over Charlestown.

Tom Walker, Hamilton’s best on the day, put Olympic ahead after 15 minutes.

Charlestown dominated possession in the first half but were made to pay for their misses when goalkeeper Andrew Goldman let a John Majurovski shot slip through his grasp in the 65th minute.

Mitchell Harper got one back for the Blues six minutes later, but Clayton Poole knocked home Walker’s squared ball in the 74th to make it 3-1.

Harper scored off a wicked deflection in the final minute to make it 3-2.

South Cardiff defender Phil Bures volleyed home a 25-metre bomb in the final minute to give the Gunners a 2-1 win over Valentine Phoenix at Ulinga Oval.

Jason Cowburn scored a hat-trick for Weston at Bear Park against his former club West Wallsend in a 4-0 victory.

Peter Haynes scored his second goal with 25 minutes left to give Broadmeadow a 3-2 win at Lake Macquarie.

It was 2-all after 16 minutes.

In first division yesterday, Lambton Jaffas remained undefeated with a 2-1 win at Toronto-Awaba, Maitland downed Singleton 4-1 on the road and Adamstown beat Thornton 3-0 away.

On Saturday, Cessnock edged Belmont Swansea 3-2 at Turner Park.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide