Magic display from Pettit gets Broadmeadow past Eagles

HIGH-octane wingback Scott Pettit scored a brace, including a contender for goal of the year, and set up another to steer Northern NSW State League champions Broadmeadow Magic to a 4-2 triumph over Edgeworth at Wanderers Oval yesterday.

The 21-year-old former Jets youth team player delivered an inch-perfect corner for Peter Haynes to head home and put Magic up after 30 minutes.

A minute later he collected a diagonal ball, rounded two defenders and tucked away an angled shot.

If that wasn’t enough to break the visitors’ spirits, he produced a wonder strike a minute after the break.

Starting on the right edge, Pettit waltzed past three defenders and then pulled the trigger, hitting a thunderbolt with the outside of his right foot from 15 metres which curled inside the near post.

‘‘It was a great strike,’’ Magic coach Damien Smith said.

‘‘Scotty has been super effective for us for the past two years. His delivery for Haynesy was spot on and he got down that right side quite a few times.’’

Smith played three at the back and went man-on-man with Edgeworth’s strike force.

The move appeared to have backfired when Josh Sparke got in behind but his effort from 10m hit the right post.

The close call sparked the Magic into action.

‘‘It was a risk to go three at the back, but I thought we could pressure them higher up the pitch,’’ Smith said.

‘‘It took us 25 minutes to adjust but from then on we were OK.’’

The win by Magic sets up a mouthwatering top-of-the-table clash with the Jets youth team at Wanderers Oval on Sunday.

However, the home side will be without captain John Bennis, who was sent off after receiving two yellow cards for clumsy challenges.

The loss came at a heavy cost for Edgeworth who are likely to have lost Stephen Krause for the season with a dislocated shoulder.

‘‘He had a reconstruction on that shoulder in the off-season, so it doesn’t look good,’’ Edgeworth coach Gary Wilson said.

‘‘I thought we competed pretty well. We hit the post and had a couple of other chances in the first half.

‘‘But once they get the ball in the front third they are the most dangerous team in the comp. We conceded two stupid goals in two minutes.’’

Elsewhere yesterday, Hamilton striker Dave Hodgson scored in injury time to snatch a 3-2 win over Weston at Darling St Oval.

Joel Hardwick had equalised for the Bears in the final minute of regulation time.

But with virtually the last play of the day, Clayton Poole chased down a through ball, turned a defender inside out and laid off for Hodgson to tap in.

West Wallsend led 1-o at half-time but paid the price for not converting two penalties and were run down 3-1 by South Cardiff at Johnston Park.

Valentine Phoenix accounted for Lake Macquarie 2-0 at Cahill Oval to notch their second win of the campaign.

● Defending champions Valentine Phoenix produced the upset of the round to defeat Adamstown 2-1 in the Herald Women’s Premier League.

Phoenix, without a point before the round nine game at Macquarie Field, scored with a long-range shot from Shannon Day in the first half and a free-kick from Laura Rapley in the second.

New coach Mick Day, who has replaced Terry McBeath, said it was an awesome result for his side who hard worked hard to turn around their season since the loss of McBeath and key players Haylee McBeath and Sophie Milton.

In other games, leaders Lake Macquarie drew 2-all with Football Mid North Coast and Merewether beat Charlestown 1-0.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide