Adrian Davis kicks Central to win over Wyong

THE last time Adrian Davis attempted a field goal in the Newcastle Rugby League it was from 50metres out in last year’s grand final for Western Suburbs against Maitland.

That kick fell horribly short and turned over possession to the Pickers, who then successfully slotted a field goal through halfback Mick Moran to seal a golden-point premiership victory moments later.

The stakes were nowhere near as high, but Davis grabbed his own field-goal glory yesterday when he kicked Central Newcastle home to a 23-22 win over Wyong on a quagmire at St John Oval.

It was the Knights NSW Cup halfback’s first game for the Butcher Boys and and he was joined by cousin Albert Kelly.

Davis played a full game for the Knights against the Auckland Vulcans on Saturday, and yesterday’s performance showed how far he has developed during his time in the NSW Cup.

‘‘I think Rip Taylor, the NSW Cup coach, drummed it into me that I needed to control the side around the park better,’’ Davis said.

There was speculation earlier in the season that Davis might be used by Knights coach Wayne Bennett in the NRL after Kurt Gidley’s shoulder injury.

And after the Knights fourth straight loss yesterday changes could be coming.

‘‘Once I get an opportunity, if I do, I will try to grab it with both hands and see how it goes,’’ Davis said.

‘‘I’m a small guy so I just need to focus on my defence more and hopefully that will help me.’’

Central coach Paul Davis said his nephew, Kelly or Knights under-20 utility Will Smith were all worth consideration from Bennett.

‘‘If they’re not performing at the top you’ve got to try something and make changes to spark the boys,’’ Paul Davis said.

‘‘You don’t know how they will go until you give them a go. Any three of them, I reckon.’’

Wyong led 14-10 at half-time thanks to tries to halfback Alex Moore and outside backs Aaiden Wright and Jayson McKenzie.

Central crossed twice through centre Tom Morton and hooker Shane Ryan.

Former NSW Country hooker Mitch Williams played only his second game for the Roos this season due to Knights NSW Cup commitments and he sparked their attack early.

After half-time, Wyong repeatedly coughed up possession in their own half and the Butcher Boys capitalised with tries to Ritchie Roberts and Kelly.

Moore and Chad Sharp scored tries for Wyong to level the game at 22-all with 11 minutes remaining before Davis kicked the winning field goal in the 77th minute.

The loss was Wyong’s sixth in eight rounds, more than they had for the entire 2011 season.

Despite the horror start, Roos coach Paul Stringer said changes are not needed.

‘‘That squad we put out there today was fantastic,’’ Stringer said.

‘‘It was a great effort, we just didn’t get the chocolates.

‘‘When you’re not going real good you just don’t have any luck.

‘‘The last four weeks I’m sick and tired of these referees, they’re killing us.’’

Western Suburbs made light work of the Port Stephens Sharks yesterday at Lakeside Sports Complex, dishing out a 52-4 hiding.

Rosellas coach Craig Miller was ecstatic with the kicking game of teenage halfback Ryan Walsh in his first grade debut.

Macquarie overcame injuries to key players Nathan Cantor and Mick Moran to maintain their incredible start to the season by beating Kurri Kurri 16-8 at Peacock Field on Saturday.

And defending premiers, Maitland, ended a two-game losing streak with a 26-16 win over Lakes United at Maitland Sportsground.

Yesterday’s South Newcastle and Cessnock game at Townson Oval was washed out.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide