THIS elegant East Maitland residence was built circa 1888 by James Russell, who also constructed Newcastle's landmark Fort Scratchley.
Called Denver, the substantial Victorian mansion is identical to another Russell built on The Hill in Newcastle, at 30 The Terrace.
Built to impress and grand in proportion, the house was also formerly the Elimatta Girls Home, run by the United Protestant Association after 1945, along with the neighbouring property, Ellimeek.
The house is in good condition, with original features intact. Lovers of heritage architecture will be delighted by the unpainted cedar joinery - lovely wide architraves and skirting boards, and panelled bi-folds between the formal lounge and dining rooms.
The ornate staircase, formal entry foyer, several marble fireplaces and ornate ceilings are still in good condition, as are the wide floorboards - mostly likely baltic pine beneath a layer of shellac.
A large shady verandah complete with iron lacework wraps around the second floor of the house and overlooks a beautiful front garden, with mature trees providing privacy from the street.
With two road frontages and a large block, this is a restoration project that looks to require little more than a cosmetic renovation to bring back its true beauty.
The bedrooms are all large, with high ceilings and lovely natural light.
The master bedroom has an en suite and a dressing room.
A kitchen and breakfast room at the back of the house have a delightful ambience all their own and lovely views over the garden.
The grounds are private and leafy, and a double garage with upstairs guest accommodation or teenager's retreat is separate.