Stoner agrees to V8 race deal

MONTHS of speculation are finally over after Casey Stoner confirmed yesterday that his trademark No.27 will be emblazoned on a V8 Supercar in 2013.

The two-time MotoGP world champion has signed a one-year deal with the Triple Eight Racing-backed Red Bull team in the second-tier V8 series and will debut in the season-opening Adelaide 500 from February 28.

The 27-year-old will race the Commodore used by Craig Lowndes to win the 2010 Bathurst 1000.

Just last week, Stoner kept fans on their toes when he denied reports he had signed on the dotted line for a switch to four wheels.

"Don't believe everything you read," Stoner tweeted.

"Haven't decided what I'm doing yet, of corse [sic] V8 Supercars is on the cards. Will let you know when I do!"

But the V8 faithful were finally put out of their misery yesterday when Stoner said his new-look V8 team would be unveiled in Adelaide on February 27, just two days before he debuts in the seven-round development series.

He has given himself 12 months to prove himself in a V8 and has not ruled out a return to motorcycle racing.

"We will be trying to learn and develop as quickly as we can and see what that brings," the 2007 and 2011 MotoGP champion said.

Stoner, who retired from MotoGP racing at the end of 2012, will have two more test days before contesting the curtain-raiser to the Adelaide 500 next month.

Stoner had made no secret of his desire to race V8s.

AAP

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop