Glendale interchange one step closer

THE Glendale interchange project has moved a step closer to securing a $15million federal funding injection.

The federal ALP government has drawn criticism for not contributing enough money to the project.

As previously reported, the NSW Liberal government has committed $15million, Lake Macquarie City Council $10million and the federal government $7million.

Federal Charlton MP Greg Combet said the Glendale interchange had been shortlisted to proceed to ‘‘full application stage’’ for round four of the Regional Development Australia Fund.

“This means Lake Macquarie council can now submit a full application seeking $15million to complete critical roadworks, including the Pennant Street bridge,’’ Mr Combet said.

“The Glendale interchange has long been recognised as a priority piece of infrastructure in this region.’’ 

A council statement said it would ‘‘prepare to submit a full application’’ by the due date of April 13.

The interchange’s $47.4million first stage includes roadworks and the bridge, but a second stage is planned to include a railway station.

But the state government has not committed to a train station, raising questions about whether the project will be an interchange or just a big roadworks project.

The council said the design of stage one would allow for the ‘‘future provision of stage two’’.

As recently reported, the council is under pressure to contain costs and begin the project as soon as possible, amid concern about a cost blowout.

The council is working on a new estimate from its 2011 valuation of $47.4million for the project’s first stage.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop