Cuthbertson to stay with Knights

ADAM Cuthbertson's agent has dismissed speculation linking the forward to English club Salford, saying last night that his client hoped to extend his tenure at the Newcastle Knights beyond the end of next season.

Cuthbertson and former Queensland State of Origin forward Neville Costigan are the latest Knights rumoured to be in the sights of Salford, who are reportedly planning a spending spree after being taken over by Kuwait-born businessman Dr Marwan Koukash.

Knights chief executive Matthew Gidley denied reports on Monday that the club had been approached about releasing playmaker Jarrod Mullen and Country Origin forward Alex McKinnon, but on Wednesday he said he would "not continue to comment on media speculation around recruitment etc".

Costigan is off contract at season's end, and given that he is 28 and is nursing a chronic knee injury, it would be no surprise if the Knights did not re-sign him.

There has already been speculation that he is preparing for a move to England, although it is unlikely that would happen before the June 30 deadline.

Cuthbertson is under contract to Newcastle next season and his manager, Andrew Purcell, said last night that nothing had transpired to suggest that arrangement was in jeopardy.

"I've had no communications with Salford, or any other club," Purcell said.

"Adam's under contract to Newcastle for next season and has no reason to be looking around..

"He's very happy up there, he's playing great football and I think the club are very happy with how he's going.

"If anything, he would like to extend his deal up there."

Another Newcastle forward, former Kiwi international David Fa'alogo, joined the Knights this year on a one-season deal with an option in the club's favour for next year.

He has underlined his claims for retention with five strong games, averaging more than 100 metres in attack and almost 23 tackles per appearance, and scored his first try of the season in Sunday's 30-6 win against Gold Coast.

The 32-year-old said he was happy to bide his time before kicking off negotiations with Newcastle management.

"I haven't spoken about that," he said. "I'm just concentrating on footy at the moment. When that comes up, we'll sort it out."

Fa'alogo said his manager "sorts that stuff out".

"I'd love to stay. I got the opportunity to come back and make the most of it, so if I got another year out of it, I'd be stoked," he said.

Newcastle's immediate priority is to re-sign rookie forward Korbin Sims, who has been offered a three-year deal but also reportedly attracted interest from North Queensland, where his brothers, Ashton and Tariq, play.

Young utility back Peter Matau'tia is also coming off contract, as are two of his brothers, Pat and Chanel.

Peter did his cause no harm by scoring three tries in Newcastle's 50-16 NSW Cup loss to Cronulla last weekend.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop