Mesh device victims quiet no longer

THE Australian Pelvic Mesh Support Group will hold a rally in Canberra on May 25 over the Therapeutic Goods Administration’s registration of mesh devices in Australia.

Silenced: Women have suffered in silence for years after mesh devices were allowed on the Australian market without clinical evidence of their safety and efficacy.

Silenced: Women have suffered in silence for years after mesh devices were allowed on the Australian market without clinical evidence of their safety and efficacy.

The group is campaigning for a Senate inquiry into why devices were marketed without clinical evidence, and why they were implanted in women for a decade.

Group founder Caz Chisholm encouraged women who have experienced problems after mesh surgery to contact the group through its Facebook page.

Newcastle law firm Catherine Henry Partners senior associate Belinda Epstein said the firm was being approached by an increasing number of women in relation to mesh devices.

“Their surgeons have often failed to fully explain the prolapse procedures, and possible adverse outcomes, prior to surgery,” Ms Epstein said.

“These women have been suffering in silence with many horrific and painful symptoms and auto-immune type responses, with doctors frequently dismissing the symptoms or being unable to provide adequate treatment.

“The symptoms can be extremely debilitating and far over and above adverse outcomes about which these women had been warned.”

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop