A HUNTER Valley man working in his backyard shed has survived a bite from a death adder, one of the world’s most venomous snakes.
The man, 48, was bitten below the knee inside his Muswellbrook shed on Saturday afternoon.
A snake catcher was called and identified the problem snake as a death adder as the man was taken to Scone hospital to be treated with antivenom.
He was stabilised before being flown by Hunter Westpac rescue helicopter to Broadmeadow and then driven to Calvary Mater Hospital at Waratah for specialist treatment. It is understood he remained in hospital in a stable condition on Sunday.
Not usually considered aggressive, the death adder is still one of the most venomous snakes in the world, although not as potent as the eastern brown snake.
A mishap while milking a specimen at Australian Reptile Park last year is believed to be the only other death adder bite across the Hunter and Central Coast for some time.