At least 12 explosions involving barbecue LPG gas bottles, including two in the Hunter, prompt warning | poll

EXPLOSION: Fire crews attended a house on Croudace Road, New Lambton Heights, on Sunday night following a gas bottle fire. Picture: Brad Gibbs.

EXPLOSION: Fire crews attended a house on Croudace Road, New Lambton Heights, on Sunday night following a gas bottle fire. Picture: Brad Gibbs.

AT least a dozen gas bottle explosions in a week – including two in the Hunter in consecutive days – have prompted fire experts to warn users to check their barbecues as the weather warns up.

GAS CHECK: Owners have been urged to check their barbecues and gas bottles.

GAS CHECK: Owners have been urged to check their barbecues and gas bottles.

A Branxton man suffered burns on Saturday night while a second person had a lucky escape as a New Lambton house was slightly damaged in an explosion from an LPG cylinder on Sunday.

It follows at least 10 other similar explosions and fires across NSW since October 10 caused by gas bottles.

“These fires are quite alarming so I encourage people not to be complacent when firing up their barbecue this season,’’ Fire and Rescue Commissioner Greg Mullins said.

Owners have been asked to check hoses and fittings for any damage or corrosion and use soapy water to test whether any gas is leaking from other parts of the bottles or barbecue.

Of the dozen incidents in the past week, three people were hospitalised with serious burns.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop