Herb and Garlic Marinated Chicken served with Peach, Macadamia Salad
We use local free-range chicken from Little Hill Farm in Mount Vincent just 25 minutes from Maitland. The owners Kelly and Simon are passionate farmers with ethical practices. They also supply eggs and other produce like lettuce and vegetables.
The peaches for this dish are from Tinkler’s Farm. Located in Pokolbin, Tinkler’s have an amazing orchard and grow an abundance of seasonal produce including table grapes, peaches, nectarines, avocados, figs, mixed citrus and vegetables.
This is a simple and delicious dish perfect for a barbecued Christmas lunch utilising local produce and something tasty the family will enjoy!
Support the local farms and try to use local produce, head to the farmers markets or a local providore to see what’s in season.
1 x 3kg Chicken (Little Hill Farm)
3 cloves garlic finely minced
80ml olive oil
2 sprigs rosemary finely chopped
20 sprigs thyme finely chopped
5 sprigs parsley finely chopped
2 lemons zest and juice
Salt and pepper to taste
2 x Peaches (local)
150g Lettuce (mixed)
100g Macadamia roasted
1 lemon zest and juice
¼ tsp Dijon mustard
80ml olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. For the chicken debone off the crown into two pieces with the breast and leg attached to each other.
2. Place chicken on the chopping board with breasts facing up and the neck facing towards you. Using boning knife trace down either side of the breastbone, cut through the joint in between the breast and wing on both sides and then cut the breast away from the rest of the carcass. Pop the leg joint inwards and then trace around with boning knife, repeat on other side.
3. Finely mince garlic and chop all of the herbs.
4. Mix together herbs with, garlic, olive oil, lemon zest and juice.
5. Rub chicken and soak in marinade for half an hour.
6. Preheat the barbecue grill to medium.
7. Remove the chicken from the marinade and season both sides with salt and pepper.
8. Place the chicken on the grill, skin side down and slowly grill until the fat renders and the skin becomes golden brown and crisp, with char marks, about 15 minutes.
9. Turn the chicken over, close the cover and continue grilling until just cooked through, about 15 minutes longer. Remove from the grill, loosely tent with foil and let rest for 10 minutes before cutting.
10. For the salad, cut the peaches in half and deseed, then place on chargrill flesh side down and cook until peaches have dark grill marks.
11. Wash and drain rocket
12. In a medium bowl mix the mustard, olive oil, lemon zest and juice
13. Cut the peaches into wedges and mix all the ingredients together and then season to taste with salt and pepper and we are ready to serve.
2016 Reserve Chardonnay, Usher Tinkler Wines (Daniel Honan) Lush, lively textures deliver layers of fruit; peach flesh and pineapple core stream over a wet stone undertow that rushes on for days.