Jets break the drought with win in Brisbane

Captain Jobe Wheelhouse scored his second goal in four days to lead the Jets to an upset 1-0 win over A-League champions Brisbane Roar at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night and end a year-long drought on the road.

Playing his second game back from a foot injury, Wheelhouse put the visitors ahead in the 23rd minute after a neat one-two with Ben Kantarovski.

The home-grown midfielder had scored the equaliser in the 1-all draw with Adelaide on Wednesday night in Bathurst.

The brace took his career tally to six in 87 A-League games.

But given the circumstances, the strike against the Roar was arguably his most important.

The Jets' last win on the road was a 3-1 triumph over the now-defunct North Queensland in Townsville on January 8, 2011.

But they had to hang on for dear life to grab all three points against a Roar side which threw everything at the Jets in an enthralling second half.

The win was the Jets' sixth for the season and moved them into seventh place on 22 points, two adrift of Sydney, who they visit next Sunday.

With the Jets lining up for their third game in eight days, van Egmond opted for a conservative approach and went away from his preferred 4-3-3 formation to a 4-4-2.

Korean Byun Sung-hwan came in at left back, Jobe Wheelhouse and Jacob Pepper returned in midfield and Francis Jeffers partnered Ryan Griffiths up front.

Roar coach Ange Postecoglou made two changes from the outfit which drew 1-all with Melbourne Heart. Teenager Nick Fitzgerald came in for the suspended Besart Berisha and Henrique was preferred over Issey Nakajima-Farran.

More than 50 millimetres of rain fell in Brisbane in the 24 hours leading up to the match. There was a light drizzle at kick-off but the surface, although greasy, held up well.

As they did in the 2-1 loss to the Roar in round seven, the Jets made a bright start.

Jacob Pepper and Francis Jeffers forced Roar keeper Michael Theoklitos into two diving saves inside 10 minutes.

At the other end, it was Thomas Broich pulling the strings, knocking balls in behind for livewire Henrique and debutant Nick Fitzgerald.

But it was the visitors who went ahead after 23 minutes through Wheelhouse.

The skipper played a neat one-two with Ben Kantarovski on the edge of the box and slid a shot under the right glove of Theoklitos.

Coming into the match the Jets had the second-worst second half record in the league, having won just two.

They had a chance to go 2-0 inside a minute after the restart when Jobe Wheelhouse released Ryan Griffiths. But the fringe Socceroo hesitated and shot straight at Theoklitos.

From that moment of the second half it was all the Roar, but they could not break down a resolute and determined Jets.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide