KNIGHTS coach Nathan Brown is in no rush to include Anthony Tupou in his squad, saying it will be a case of quality not quantity for the former Test forward.
Tupou was a late addition to Newcastle’s roster and, after playing in the reserve-grade season opener, was on standby for last week’s NRL win against Gold Coast.
The 34-year-old has been named in the preliminary 21-man squad to tackle Souths on Saturday but is not expected to make the final cut.
“At his age, we didn’t bring Toops here to play every week,’’ Brown said. “If we can get a good 17 or 18 games out of Toops at first-grade level, that would be great.’’
Brown said English import Joe Wardle, who played in NSW Cup last week, needed to “get a couple of games under his belt” before he is ready for an NRL debut.
* BROWN seems certain to stick with his winning squad, which raises the question of when was the last time Newcastle fielded an unchanged line-up in consecutive games?
By our calculation, it was exactly two years ago, in rounds two and three of 2015.
* NEWCASTLE’S under-20s almost pulled off a miraculous comeback before losing 44-40 to Gold Coast last weekend.
The young Knights were down 34-6 at half-time before surging home. After a win and a loss to open the season, they host winless South Sydney on Saturday.
* THE Knights are still searching for the first reserve-grade win of the season after a 26-18 loss to Wyong Roos last weekend. On Saturday, they host North Sydney, who have beaten Wentworthville and Blacktown in the opening rounds.
Under-20s kick off at noon, followed by NSW Cup at 2.10pm