The M1 Motorway will be upgraded at Beresfield and the Doyalson-Tuggerah section

On the Road: NRMA chairman Kyle Loades at the M1 Motorway at Beresfield. The NRMA has welcomed plans to make the motorway safer and more efficient. Picture: Jonathan Carroll.
On the Road: NRMA chairman Kyle Loades at the M1 Motorway at Beresfield. The NRMA has welcomed plans to make the motorway safer and more efficient. Picture: Jonathan Carroll.

Design work on a major upgrade of the M1 Motorway at Beresfield is set to be completed in June, Roads and Maritime Services said.

The project includes replacing the roundabout with traffic lights at the Weakleys Drive and John Renshaw Drive intersection.

About 4000 vehicles use the roundabout every hour in peak periods.

The intersection cannot effectively cope with this level of demand, an RMS document said.

It’s unclear when construction work on this project will start.

However, work is set to begin on widening the busy and sometimes dangerous 12-kilometre stretch between Doyalson and Tuggerah to three lanes in each direction.

This work includes rebuilding a 9-kilometre section of the road to provide a “smoother and more durable surface”.

The first stage of work on the Tuggerah to Doyalson section involves geotechnical investigations, with lane closures from April 30.

This work will be done at night and is expected to be completed in a week.

Major work on the Tuggerah to Doyalson project, which will cost $145 million, is expected to start mid-year.

It is part of a $400 million motorway upgrade program, which includes the Beresfield project and widening the route between the Kariong and Somersby interchanges. 

NRMA spokesman Peter Khoury welcomed plans to make the motorway “safer and more efficient for traffic flow”.

“It’s such an important motorway and the importance will only increase,” Mr Khoury said.

Readers reacted to the motorway plans on the Herald’s Facebook page.

Carol Buttsworth backed plans for an upgrade at the end of the motorway at Beresfield.

“The current roundabout is an absolute joke,” she said.

Alison Smith said the motorway was “a disgrace”, with its “sunken, broken up pavement”.

Tracey Cambourn said the plans were “great news”, while Sean Moloney added “about bloody time”.

Some motorists said poor driving continued to be a big problem on the route.

NRMA chairman Kyle Loades previously told the Herald that his organisation would like to see the phrase ‘‘please get home safely tonight’’ used on electronic message signs on the motorway.

Some motorists expressed concern about how the roadworks would affect their commuting times.

An RMS document relating to the Beresfield plan said there would be delays during construction.

“We would build the upgrade in stages and work with road users to ensure any adverse impacts or delays were minimised,” it said.