Ex-Roosters star Shaun Kenny-Dowall escapes conviction for cocaine possession

Shaun Kenny-Dowall has escaped conviction for cocaine possession Photo: Ashley Feder

Shaun Kenny-Dowall has escaped conviction for cocaine possession Photo: Ashley Feder

Former Roosters star Shaun Kenny-Dowall has escaped conviction for possessing cocaine, after making the "monumental mistake" of accepting a small amount of the drug at Sydney's Ivy nightclub.

Kenny-Dowall appeared in Downing Centre Local Court on Tuesday, and pleaded guilty to possessing 0.29 grams of cocaine.

Defence solicitor Bryan Wrench told the court the 30-year-old underwent urine and hair testing soon after he was caught with a resealable bag of cocaine on May 5, proving he did not take the drug, and had not used drugs in previous weeks.

"It still doesn't excuse what he did, but this is a case where we can say it's a one-off," Mr Wrench said.

Mr Wrench said Kenny-Dowall "gives a lot to the community", and had several character references in his favour.

Magistrate Greg Grogin said Kenny-Dowall appeared in court as a member of the community, who happened to have a high-profile.

Mr Grogin noted Kenny-Dowall had lost his contract with the Roosters as a result of the charges, as well as his registration with the NRL.

"The collateral damage is huge," Mr Grogin said.

"There's no evidence of drug use by you either at the time of the incident ... or in the many weeks prior."

The magistrate said Kenny-Dowall supported many community causes, including the Clovelly Crocodiles junior rugby league club.

Mr Grogin said he considered Kenny-Dowall's early guilty plea, and the fact that it was his first offence when discharging him, and placing him on a year-long good behaviour bond.

It is not the first time the former centre has appeared in court.

The Kiwi national was last year acquitted of domestic violence after he was accused of headbutting, pushing and putting his former girlfriend Jessica Peris in a headlock.

After news of the drug charge, the Roosters said Kenny-Dowall would be stood down indefinitely "pending the conclusion of the club's internal investigation and consultation with the club's board of directors".

He was in talks with the Newcastle Knights at the time.

The Sydney Morning Herald

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop