Tony Brown, the long-time advocate for Newcastle’s lock-out laws, is giving “careful consideration” to a tilt at Newcastle City Council.
Mr Brown said he had been approached about running for council later this year, but was weighing up his options.
“I’m fully cognisant that we need genuinely independent leadership in the city,” he said. “Secondly I’m also aware of the significant cost involved with it, both personally and electorally, and the need for substantial resources.”
It comes after Mr Brown’s name was included in a phone survey that canvassed opinions on several well-known personalities and thoughts on the city’s lock-out laws, in relation to the Septemberlocal government election.
During the survey, the caller claims to be conducting research on behalf of the Australian Hotels Association.
Former federal MP Bob Baldwin was among those listed in the survey as a potential election candidate, though Mr Baldwin told The Herald earlier this week he did not intend to stand for council.
Mr Brown said the survey was “highly irregular” if it was commissioned by the AHA.
He said he believed the results could be used to promote candidates that would try to wind-back Newcastle’s lock-out laws and undermine those in favour of keeping them in place.
“Information is high-value currency,” Mr Brown said.
A NSW AHA spokesman declined to answer questions about the survey on Monday and referred The Herald to a statement it released on Sunday.
“Like many other organisations the AHA undertakes research on a range of issues across NSW from time to time,” the statement said.