Cat inadvertently turns on stove, causes aerosol to explode

Nine lives: The scene of the explosion and fire at Emu Plains. Picture: Regentville Fire and Rescue.
Nine lives: The scene of the explosion and fire at Emu Plains. Picture: Regentville Fire and Rescue.

A cat is believed to be responsible for an explosion that blew the windows out of a western Sydney home.

Authorities were called to the scene in Emu Plains after explosion severely damaged windows and doors.

”The explosion, which occurred in the kitchen, blew out the windows and glass sliding door on the residence,” the fire brigade posted on its Facebook page.

“One person was home at the time, and escaped serious injury.”

After an investigation into the September 27 incident, the full story behind the explosion was revealed.

The explosion was deemed to be caused by an aerosol can left on a stove top,” the Regentville Fire and Rescue wrote. 

“It was determined that the stove top was inadvertently turned on by a resident cat sometime early in the morning.”

The Penrith City Gazette​ was attempting to get in contact with crews to check on the condition of the cat.