Merewether Beach will come alive on Saturday as the Surfest competition moves into the city.
Weekend crowds will be able to see the nib Pro Junior - WSL 1000 Men's and Women's competition and the Sanbah Cadet Cup and Dalton Lawyers Cadet Girls presented by Arcbuild.
This year Surfest is running 12 events across Lake Macquarie, Newcastle and Port Stephens. There are 20 days of surfing action, attracting about 850 competitors from more than 20 countries. The event schedule can be found here.
There are 27 surfers going for the winner’s trophy in the men’s Burton Automotive Pro and the Grandstand Sports Clinic Women’s Pro.
Before a weekend of sand, surf and spectating, take a look at last year’s photographs from the annual surfing festival.
Also, check out some of last year’s coverage here:
- Callinan stays afloat after cliffhanger
- Owen Wright comeback victory "felt amazing"
- Ryan Callinan blows away frustrations of 2016 with dominant start at Surfest
- Major upset on day two
- Callinan key man for final attack
- Parko back on board
- Riding that Surfest wave
- Molony stamps name on Surfest again
- Rio medallist earns Surfest wildcard
- Avoca win Boardriders Battle
- Boardriders Battle spoilt for choice
- High School teams challenge