Merewether Beach has come alive as the Surfest competition moves into the city.
The men’s and women’s pro events kicked off on Monday.
This year Surfest is running 12 events across Lake Macquarie, Newcastle and Port Stephens. There are 20 days of surfing action, attracting about 850 competitors from more than 20 countries. The event schedule can be found here.
There are 27 surfers going for the winner’s trophy in the men’s Burton Automotive Pro and the Grandstand Sports Clinic Women’s Pro.
Also, check out some of this year’s coverage here:
- Surfest lose star to head wound
- Joe Haddon wins fourth Indigenous Classic title
- Jackson Baker spearheading local hopes with winning new formula
- Former champions Sally Fitzgibbons and Matt Banting looking to bounce back at Surfest
- Russ Molony eyes unique double in quest for 12th title
- All the photos from Surfest 2017