Queens Wharf Tower may have some life in it yet, albeit not in Newcastle.
When Newcastle City Council voted last November to demolish the 40-metre high tower, Novocastrians were divided.
Some can’t bear to part with the iconic phallic symbol, while others can’t wait to see the back of it.
Newcastle lord mayor Nuatali Nelmes said there had been some interest in acquiring the harbourside tower.
Given this, the council will call for expressions of interest.
"We received a couple of inquiries about purchasing the steel tower – one offer coming from a group in Western Australia,” Cr Nelmes said.
"The drier weather over there would certainly extend its service life, unlike the humid, salty air here by the coast, which makes it prohibitively expensive to maintain.”
However, the lord mayor said that if the council does not receive any responses “we will still go ahead with the demolition”.
She said this would save about $1.6 million in maintenance fees for ratepayers over the next few years.
“If we find someone who'll give the tower a good home, then we'll be happy to support its resurrection,” she said.
The 12-storey tower, which has 180 steps, opened in 1988 as part of Australia's bicentenary celebrations.
The tender process will open on Tuesday.