Wests and Wyong at odds over centre

WESTERN Suburbs and the Wyong Roos are at odds over the services of NSW Country centre Steve Gordon.

Wyong football manager Matt Lavin announced in a television report on Thursday night that Gordon had agreed to join the Roos as part of their build-up for the NSW Cup next season.

Last month the Roos decided to leave the Newcastle Rugby League and join the NSW Cup. 

Wests coach Craig Miller said yesterday that Gordon would be part of their premiership defence next season.

‘‘I’ve spoken to Steve Gordon this morning and he’s very disappointed in the announcement by Wyong and has assured me his contract to Wests next season is watertight and he has no intentions of breaking his contract,’’ Miller said. 

 Lavin was adamant that Gordon would be at Wyong.   

‘‘As far as I know he’s agreed to terms and that’s it,’’ Lavin said. ‘‘He hasn’t signed a contract, which is true, but he has agreed to terms on Thursday with [Wyong coach] Paul [Stringer]. We have a contract ready for him to sign.’’

The Roos are hosting a trial today at Morry Breen Oval from 4pm to recruit for their NSW Cup campaign.

About 60 players have registered to trial for 20 to 25 spots, and more are expected on the day.  There was speculation more Rosellas could be involved in the trial, but most of the squad are in Melbourne on an end-of-season trip.

Despite showing interest in Gordon, Lavin said Wyong did not plan to poach other Newcastle Rugby League footballers.

‘‘We’re not chasing anybody from the Newcastle comp,’’ he said. ‘‘By all means if they’re interested in trialling or thinking they are at NSW Cup level, then they can get in contact with us.

‘‘But not for one minute are we chasing any of the players.’’

The Roos have retained second-rower Jay Florimo and lured hooker Mitch Williams and back-rower Shaun Boss back to the club.

Williams won the Knights player of the year and players’ player in the NSW Cup this season, but the pint-sized  dummy-half believed there was more opportunity at the Roos.

‘‘I had a good year but the opportunity came to be at the start of something,’’ he  said.

‘‘I liked what Stringer had to say about it and I thought it would be best for me at the time.’’

Williams said there was an offer to remain at the Knights but no room  for advancement  into the NRL.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop