OBITUARY: Kevin John Moran 

Born: May 27, 1927 

Died: January 22, 2013 

Funeral: January 29, St Pius X Primary School, Windale 

WHEN Kevin John Moran was diagnosed with bladder cancer last year, the news rocked his family to its core.

But the former fireman, train driver and railway worker promised those nearest to him he was not giving up without a fight.

A determined Mr Moran defied doctor’s opinions and medical text books to spend one last Christmas with his family.

Sadly, Mr Moran lost his battle with illness on January 22 this year. He was 85. 

Mr Moran was born at the Mater Hospital at Waratah on May 27, 1927, the youngest son of Francis and Trilby Moran.

The family, which included children Marge, Norma, Frank and Joyce, grew up in Alfred Street, Waratah, and Mr Moran attended Corpus Christi Primary School and Marist Brothers High School.

After leaving school, Mr Moran went to work for a veterinarian before joining the railways as a locomotion cleaner in 1943.

He later became a fireman and, finally, a train driver, where he met good mates Reg Nelson and Charlie Copas.

At 20, Mr Moran attended a dawn dance at Legion House where he met a beautiful 16-year-old girl named Margie Wyld.

Mr Moran later told his family he immediately fell in love, despite the fact he was dating someone else at the time.

Over the next three years their relationship blossomed and, on February 11, 1950, the couple were married at Tighes Hill Catholic Church. Mr Moran whisked his new bride away to Port Macquarie for a honeymoon.

The marriage would last almost 63 years.

After returning from Port Macquarie, the pair settled into married life and in 1951 welcomed their first son, Stephen, into the world.

Stephen was followed by twins Anne and Sue in 1953, Julie in 1955, Tony in 1957, Kathryn in 1959, and in 1962, Gail. 

The Moran family moved around Newcastle for more than a decade before settling in Windale where Mr Moran established his pride and joy – a vegetable garden that rivalled some of  the Hunter’s best.

Mr Moran suffered a mild stroke in 1986, losing the sight in his right eye, and decided to retire from work the following year.

With work behind him, Mr Moran and his wife decided they needed a change and purchased a five-hectare property at Clarence Town.

His lifelong dream had been realised and, with several family members owning horses, Mr Moran was more than happy to look after their mares until they foaled.

During retirement, the couple took regular holidays around Australia and enjoyed nine great years until Mr Moran’s health began to decline.

The couple decided on another change, selling the property and buying a house in Eleebana, in order to be closer to health professionals and hospitals.

As his health further deteriorated, Mr Moran became almost housebound but loved watching old westerns and classic films on DVD. 

Mr Moran fought bladder cancer for nearly 12months and took his last breath surrounded by his wife Marge and loving family. 

FAMILY MAN: Kevin Moran was married for nearly 63 years and had seven children.

FAMILY MAN: Kevin Moran was married for nearly 63 years and had seven children.


Discuss "OBITUARY: Kevin John Moran "

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.