TWO of the Newcastle Jets’ top-ranking officials have quit the club after the team recorded just one win so far this season.
Chief executive Robbie Middleby and chairman Ray Baartz will both depart the club, they announced in a statement on the club’s website on Thursday.
Middleby said his decision was in the best interests of both the club and his family.
‘‘I have, and will always support this club and wish the members, staff and players all the best for the future,’’ he said.
‘‘My time at the Jets has been challenging, however as someone born and bred in Newcastle, it has been an honour to be part of this club and football community and I will be forever grateful for that opportunity.’’
Middleby said he hoped his departure could ‘‘aid the transition to new ownership and allow the club to start a new chapter’’ but he will not depart immediately.
The Newcastle Herald has reported that the Asian Cup break would be used for a broad review of the Jets' full operations, including Middleby's position.
The departing chief executive said that was still the case.
‘‘I will use the next few weeks to support the mid-season review process and making this decision now will allow me to give an honest and independent appraisal of where the club is at and provide recommendations of how it could best move forward,’’ he said.
Ray Baartz, a Hunter football legend, said the game was a major part of his life.
He described his involvement with the Jets as ‘‘a privilege’’.
‘‘I wish the fans and everyone involved at the club all the best for the remainder of the season and in particular the ongoing future of this great club,’’ Baartz said.The club will begin the process to replace Middleby.