Unprovoked bashing blamed on ‘hard day’

Matthew Bailey admitted the July 24 Strzlecki Lookout bashing. Picture: Darren Pateman
Matthew Bailey admitted the July 24 Strzlecki Lookout bashing. Picture: Darren Pateman

MATTHEW Annen Bailey punched a teenager at least six times in the head and dragged him around by his hair after a minor traffic scrape in the Strzlecki Lookout car park, Newcastle Local Court has heard. 

Bailey, 29, of Awaba Road, Toronto, on Monday pleaded guilty to a ‘‘completely unprovoked’’ and ‘‘particularly violent’’ assault on a 17-year-old male in the car park on July 24. Court documents state the victim was in his car with a friend about 11pm when he reversed a short distance and heard a thud and a cracking noise.

The victim asked his friend if he had hit something and was in the process of opening his door to check when Bailey appeared. Without warning, Bailey punched the 17-year-old in the nose, court documents state.

The 17-year-old’s nose started bleeding immediately and he covered his face, telling Bailey: ‘‘Sorry mate, I’ll pay for it’’. But Bailey responded: ‘‘You’ll pay for it all right’’, before unleashing three more punches to the victim’s head. Bailey then grabbed the victim by his shirt and jacket and began dragging him out of the driver’s seat, police facts state. The victim’s friend tried to keep him in the car, but Bailey managed to force the victim out of his seat and with his left hand holding onto the victim’s head and hair he shoved him into the driver’s side door. Bailey continued to abuse the victim and punched him again in the right side of his face. He then grabbed the victim by the hair, swung him around and punched him again in the head, knocking him to the ground. 

Bailey then yelled at the victim: ‘‘Just get in your f---ing car and go’’. The victim suffered multiple facial injuries, including two black eyes and cuts and bruises to his forehead, lip and nose. Court documents state the pair did not know each other and had never met prior to the assault. ‘‘The assault was particularly violent in nature and completely unprovoked by the victim,’’ police facts state.

 Police  identified Bailey from fingerprints on the victim’s car. Contacted,  he handed himself in and admitted the offence, telling officers he had ‘‘a bad day at work’’. 

 Magistrate Ian Cheetham adjourned the matter until October 26 for a pre-sentence report to be prepared.