Riders from around the world are set to sign up for an Australian-first event according to Newcastle City SuperMoto organiser Graeme Boyd.
National champions from Japan, France, Spain and the UK have already shown interest in competing at the opening round of the FIM-ASIA SuperMoto Championships, which will take place on Newcastle Foreshore in September.
It will be the first time Australia has hosted the Asian-based competition and follows on from last year’s national championships debuting in Newcastle.
“Last year was just the start of it,” Boyd said. “We will have an all-star international cast in 2016. On top of the Asian riders they will come from all over, because they have seen the footage and know how good it is. There will be Japanese, UK, French and Spanish champions here and if the US titles weren’t on at the same time then half-a-dozen Yanks would have been there as well.”
Merewether’s Max Croker, who held national junior titles across three disciplines (speedway, road and dirt track) in 2013, will be one of the locals flying the flag.
Boyd said the event was officially signed, sealed and delivered on Friday morning after contracts were exchanged. An initial announcement had been made by Destination NSW in April.
Boyd anticipates a crowd of 40,000 to line the 940m circuit, a mixture of dirt and tar, overlooking iconic Newcastle sites such as the harbour, the breakwall and the cathedral.
“I reckon we will get 20,000 people here on the Saturday and 40,000 here on the Sunday,” Boyd said. “We have doubled the ferries from Stockton so people can park over there. There will also be park and ride from Hunter Stadium.”