Sydney FC vow to get back in the winning groove against Newcastle on Sunday

Sydney FC have vowed to shrug aside their FFA Cup final disappointment and get back in the winning groove against Newcastle on Sunday.

The Sky Blues were jumped from the outset of the decider at AAMI Park by a physical Melbourne City outfit who didn't allow them to play the game on their terms.

HEAT OF THE BATTLE: Tempers flare in Wednesday night's FFA Cup decider. Picture: Getty Images

HEAT OF THE BATTLE: Tempers flare in Wednesday night's FFA Cup decider. Picture: Getty Images

With Tim Cahill's header giving City a 1-0 lead in the 53rd minute, Sydney fought back but were unable to produce an equaliser, handing City their first silverware in their seven-year history.

Sydney, who last took home a trophy in 2010, can take comfort from their position at the top of the A-League ladder - not to mention the fact it was their first loss in 15 games.

But captain Alex Brosque admits he and coach Graham Arnold will need to ensure the team's disappointment doesn't have a corrosive effect on the remainder of their season.

"There is that danger," Brosque said after the game.

"The boys weren't happy. Heads were down. Everything was a pretty awful mood within the change rooms. It's definitely one that's very different to what we've been used to this year.

"Arnie, myself, we just need to pick the boys up, which we'll do. We'll go back to the hotel and recover and a good win on Sunday against Newcastle goes a long way to getting our season back on track."

Sydney coach Arnold was gracious in defeat after the game, saying City had come a long way from their Melbourne Heart days.

"In general play it was an even contest, and you've got to congratulate Melbourne City on winning their first trophy in only a short time," he said.

"You can see by the crowd tonight and the number of people around the place ... they'll be a big club and get better and better."

But he couldn't resist throwing in a pointed remark about the small number of empty seats at the FFA's hand-picked venue.

"It was a fantastic occasion but it wasn't a full house," he said.

"I think if we'd played in Sydney it would have been."

Arnold was unimpressed with Luke Brattan's late challenge on Michael Zullo in the opening minutes of the game, and equally unimpressed with his side's failure to match City's physicality.

The Brattan tackle sparked a near 20-man melee and prompted plenty of heat throughout the first half, with 10 fouls in the opening 15 minutes.

"You've got to match the fight," Arnold said.

"I thought Brattan's tackle in the first minute was horrendous. I thought that was probably something that set the tone for the game."


Discuss "Jets in sights of fired-up Sydney"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.