FORMER mayor of Lake Macquarie Douglas Carley appeared in court yesterday charged with the aggravated indecent assault of a 12-year-old boy.
Carley, a former schoolteacher, was convicted of indecently assaulting a 15-year-old boy in 1995, Newcastle Local Court heard.
Now 72, Carley was Lake Macquarie mayor from 1991 to 1993.
Carley, who holds Canadian, Australian and British passports, was refused bail yesterday.
A police statement tendered to the court during Carley's bail application said the retired pensioner, now of Hamilton, invited the alleged victim to his flat on November 17 last year, saying, "I have a present for you, come over and get it".
At the unit, Carley went to the toilet while the boy sat on a lounge. When he returned, the boy stood up and said, "What's this present then?", the court heard.
Carley allegedly pulled the boy's shorts and underpants down to his ankles. He then touched the boy's genitals.
The alleged victim pushed him away and said, "I don't want you to do that".
The boy pulled up his shorts and underpants and left, the court heard.
On his way out, the boy heard Carley say, "I'm going to kill myself" . The boy told his mother and she called an ambulance.
Carley was taken to the Mater hospital where he was treated for an overdose.
A few days later, he left for a holiday to Canada. On his return on New Year's Eve, he allegedly made "immediate and consistent" attempts to contact the boy. He allegedly bought him a number of presents, including a camera, ice skates and clothes. He also allegedly visited the boy's house.
On January 6, police went to Carley's home in relation to self-harm threats. While there, the boy approached them and disclosed the alleged incident.
Carley was arrested yesterday after his release from James Fletcher Hospital.
His Legal Aid lawyer, Mark Zaki, said that Carley suffered from bipolar disorder.
He had indicated his psychiatric condition had stabilised and he no longer wanted to harm himself, Mr Zaki said.
Police prosecutor Karen Mahoney strongly opposed bail.
She said that when Carley was arrested for the previous offence, he was at an airport trying to leave Australia.
Magistrate Sharron Crews said Carley was a flight risk. She said she was also concerned about protecting the victim and about Carley's propensity for self-harming.
Carley, who appeared in court in a blue T-shirt, cargo shorts and with apparent bruising to his face, will reappear by audio-visual link on January 21.