Floor trends have moved beyond traditional timber floorboards and carpet with a vast range of more affordable options available to consumers.
Interior designer Jodie Carter observed there had been a noticeable trend with affordable faux floors.
“I’m seeing an interest in vinyl planks. Because of technology, it means people can buy something which still looks like timber and is so effective at mimicking floorboards it integrates fine detail with grains,” she said.
Another affordable trend is laminate floors.
“A number of clients have also done laminate floors as opposed to the real thing because there is more choice in colour and size,” Ms Carter said. “If you buy actual timber flooring, it could be two or three times the price of laminate.”
Harder surfaces are enjoying a spike in popularity, but the designer prefers a softer floor option in bedrooms “to add warmth and texture”.
Concrete floors, suited for an industrial-inspired interior, are also proving popular.
“If you’re building a home from scratch, a polished concrete base as a floor can be an easier choice rather than if you were renovating to lay concrete over something already existent,” she said.
She said an easier-to-install option, offering similar tones, can be achieved with concrete-look tiles.
DECORATING WITH CONCRETE FLOORS
- Use rugs in living areas and bedrooms to help soften the room and give children or four-legged family members somewhere to lay.
- If you’re building from scratch, opt for large windows to stop the room looking too heavy.
- Timber and/or black furniture works well.
- Inject colour with soft furnishings, artwork and indoor plants.
CLEANING CONCRETE FLOORS
- Sweep with a broom and go over it again with a dust mop.
- Use a bucket of warm water mixed with a dash of dishwashing liquid or mild floor cleaner. Don’t use vinegar or chemicals such as ammonia, which can destroy the finish.
- Mop small sections at a time, rinse the bucket and clean again with just warm water to remove any excess soap.
- Rebuff occasionally to maintain the polished look.