WICKHAM and Bar Beach are among the suburbs where a new electric bike sharing system will set up shop from Monday.
The Newcastle Herald has reported the scheme will run 100 bikes across 19 docking stations from early next week as part of an on demand public transport trial in Newcastle dubbed an Australian first.
Charging stations are slated for Honeysuckle, Wickham, Newcastle West, The Junction, Bar Beach and within the CBD.
BYKKO Newcastle operations manager Marcus Thyer said the bikes suited all ages and fitness levels. “We would love to see people who work in the CBD travel from their workplace to a meeting on an electric bike,” he said. The bikes will be delivered to docking stations in an event on Monday.
The 19 locations are:
- Wickham Interchange- Grand Plaza
- Wickham Interchange – North Entrance (bike hub)
- Newcastle Yacht Club
- Honeysuckle Hotel
- Birdwood Park
- Kuwami Place (Tafe Hunter St)
- Wharf Rd - Ferry (near to Tower)
- Customs House
- Nobbys Beach
- Telford Street (Pacific Park)
- Hunter Street Mall (opposite the Doctors)
- Telstra Civic (Darby St cnr King St)
- University House (Nesca Building)
- Newcastle Library
- Wheeler Place
- Darby Street - The Big Headphones
- Bar Beach Pavilion
- The Junction (Union st cnr Glebe Rd) (installation in progress)
- No 2 Sportsground/ Marketown (installation in progress)