Kurt John Sadler appealing against two-year jail term for one-punch attack that left man with fractured skull

Newcastle courthouse.
Newcastle courthouse.

A CENTRAL Coast man who delivered a running punch to the head of another man at the Newcastle Major League baseball grand final last year, fracturing his skull and causing bleeding on the brain, told the victim “goodnight” as he lay there unconscious.

Kurt John Sadler, 38, of Wyongah, appeared in Newcastle District Court on Wednesday to appeal against the severity of the maximum two-year jail term he received in Toronto Local Court in January.

Sadler was sentenced to serve a non-parole period of 18 months after pleading guilty to reckless grievous bodily harm and has been out on bail pending his appeal.

Sadler and the victim were both drinking at the first and second grade grand finals of the Newcastle baseball competition at Waterboard Oval, Blackalls Park on September 16. The pair were initially involved in an altercation when Sadler tripped over and then kicked another man’s esky about 6.45pm. 

When the victim went to help the man pick up the contents of the esky, Sadler came up behind him and attempted to put him in a headlock.

The victim broke free and both men attempted to punch each other but missed. They were separated and Sadler went to his car to leave.

But about 10 minutes later he returned, running at the victim and repeatedly calling out to him.

The victim stepped forward and raised his hands for a fight, but Sadler kept running, and without slowing down punched the victim once in the head. 

The force of the blow knocked the victim to the ground, where he lay unconscious with two fractures to his skull, a perforated right ear drum and three bleeds to the brain. It was around this time that Sadler told the victim “goodnight”, he later admitted to police.

But Sadler looks set to avoid a full-time jail term, with Judge Roy Ellis adjourning the matter until August so he can be assessed for an intensive corrections order, a form of custodial sentence served in the community. 

Meanwhile, the NSW Court of Appeal has sat in Newcastle for the first time this week.