A British ski instructor accused of carrying out a Jindabyne attack described by police as "horrific" will remain in custody until the case returns to court on July 26.
Matthew James Williams, 28, was in the cells at Queanbeyan Local Court on Wednesday morning as his case was mentioned briefly.
Mr Williams did not appear in court but was represented by solicitor Luke Vozella, who said he had not been instructed to enter pleas.
Mr Vozella did not apply for bail on his client's behalf, and it was formally refused.
Police charged Mr Williams on Tuesday night with aggravated sexual assault, causing grievous bodily harm with intent, two counts of occasioning actual bodily harm, and possession of a prohibited drug.
The ski instructor is accused of knocking out a 25-year-old man, then physically and sexually assaulting a 22-year-old woman on Kosciuszko Road in Jindabyne in the early hours of last Thursday.
The pair, from Newcastle, had left the Banjo Patterson Inn about 1am and were walking back to a hotel when they were allegedly attacked.
Police allege that when the 25-year-old man regained consciousness and tried to help the woman, he was assaulted again.
The alleged victims have both been discharged from hospital.
In a statement to Fairfax Media, Perisher said it was “deeply saddened to hear about the tragic attack in Jindabyne”.
“We are cooperating fully with police in their investigation,” the statement said.
A biography published on the Perisher website, but since removed, describes Mr Williams as “Perisher’s ski cross team coach and program leader”.
The biography calls Mr Williams one of the most versatile members of the Perisher team and says he proved himself “time and time again” coaching ski-cross and alpine racing.
He started work in the Perisher Snowsports School in 2013, according to the biography, and “created quite the following over the years”.
At a press conference announcing the arrest on Tuesday afternoon, Detective Acting Superintendent Tom Barnes described the alleged attack as "horrific".
Police initially believed they were looking for more than one person, but Acting Superintendent Barnes said on Tuesday that police were now "fairly comfortable that ... we have the sole person responsible for the attack".
Acting Superintendent Barnes said he believed the accused had been working in Australia on a seasonal basis.
Mr Vozella said outside court that he planned to speak to Mr Williams on Wednesday afternoon, and that he had no further comment.
The Canberra Times