Short Takes July 14 2018: readers have their say on the day’s news

I THINK Gough Whitlam must be turning in his grave to see what has become of his protégé, Mark Latham. To think of the time the great man wasted on him.

Peter C Jones, Rathmines

I WAS interested to read that Newcastle Now will run two free business disruption workshops over the next week as part of its light-rail response, which includes 34 hours of free consultation with a business adviser. These businesses don't need financial advice. I believe they need financial compensation from a state government that has blatantly robbed them of foot traffic. I'm sure the many businesses that have already closed due to financial stress caused by the light rail construction will find these workshops oh so helpful!  

Stephanie Thompson, Hamilton

WE WERE promised by Malcolm Turnbull that we would have a cheaper electricity system. Just check your latest electricity bill. Petrol is at its highest and now we are being asked to subsidise the major financial institutions, multinational businesses and politicians pay rises all for a possible $10 tax concession which has already been absorbed by increases in everyday expenses. Well done the ‘Prince of Merchant Bankers’.  

Gerry Mohan, Shoal Bay

I READ with interest Jessica Irvine's column (Latest GST changes hard to understand”, Opinion 6/7). One point made was that under the new policy each state will receive between 70 and 75% of the revenue collected from it via the GST. Further, that the federal Treasury will subsidise the GST funds to ensure that this happens. I realise that some states collect much higher amounts than others, but I am still perplexed as to the efficiency of this process. If no state is to receive more than 75% of the collected GST funds, what happens to the other 25%, not to mention the extra subsidy? If it takes one quarter of the total in administrative costs, then this system is grossly inefficient. It makes one wonder about the efficiency of other tax collections such as income tax too.

John Pritchard, Blackalls Park

SUPERCARS’ numbers just don't add up, not by a long shot. With Supercars now not far off and preparations even closer, I referred to last year’s figures where Supercars claimed attendance of 60,000 people per day. With car parking almost impossible and the event requiring public buses for transport, it made the logistics of moving this number of people both to and from the top of town in a prescribed time period   enormous. Even heavy rail transport using four platforms, would have had trouble, let alone buses with a combined carrying capacity of 80 people per bus that by my calculations would require 750 separate trips coming and 750 trips going to transport 60,000 people. Allowing for half to have walked, not used buses or simply not attended using tickets obtained, it’s still 750 round trips. The mind boggles trying to even imagine this number of bus trips, or the time taken to actually carry out this task, so please don't insult our intelligence and this time come up with a crowd number that is plausible. l can't believe they expect us to swallow all this and still say nothing.

Carl Stevenson, Dora Creek

Comments