NRL: Newcastle Knights lose to Cronulla Sharks 38-12 at Southern Cross Group Stadium

Newcastle-bound winger Edrick Lee scored a double and Valentine Holmes set a new season try-scoring record for the Sharks in their 38-12 win over an injury-ravaged Knights side at Sharks Park.

The Sharks led 14-6 at the break and while the Knights tried hard to go with them in the second half, the home side just had too much firepower.

Newcastle's cause wasn't help by the loss of Lachlan Fiztgibbon to concussion late in the first half while Connor Watson lasted only a few minutes of the second half before being forced off.

The Knights also had backrower Aidan Guerra sin-binned late in the first half for repeated infringements and got no favours from the match officials during the game.

Lee, who will join the Knights next season, scored a try in each half while Holmes scored the game-breaker midway through the second half to take his season tally to 20 tries, a Sharks record.

The Knights did well not to concede an early try with the Sharks bombarding their tryline after Mitchell Pearce failed to find touch from a penalty in the opening minutes.

In the end, the home side settled for a 2-0 lead after nine minutes with Valentine Holmes getting them on the board with a penalty goal.

Two crucial back-to-back Danny Levi errors gifted the Sharks field possession soon after they didn't need a further invitation with centre Josh Dugan crossing out wide after an overhead Chad Townsend pass for an 8-0 lead.

Fitzgibbon was involved in a nasty head clash with team mate Josh King during the movement which led to the try and was forced off.

The Knights hit back when a Pearce grubber rebounded off the feet of Andrew Fifita into the hands of a grateful Nick Meaney to score.

Sio converted for an 8-6 scoreline after 31 minutes.

It looked like staying that way until a dramatic final three minues.

The Knights were caned 9-3 in the first half penalties and one of those led to  Guerra's sin-binning minutes from the break.

The Knights appeared likely to hold out but with 46 seconds left, Townsend took advantage of their one man overlap with the halfback again coming up with a great overhead pass fork Lee to cross untouched.

Holmes converted from wide out for a 14-6 lead at the break.

The Sharks pushed their advantage out to 18-6 when winger Sosaia Feki squeezed over in the corner nine minutes after the break after the Knights right edge failed to number up in defence.

Just before the try, the Knights lost five-eighth Connor Watson to injury forcing a reshuffle.

But they kept hanging in there and got back into the game with a great forwards try to Daniel Saifiti.

Saifiti charged over under the posts after Pearce, Chris Heighington, Luke Yates and King were all involved in a short passing movement to reduce the margin to 18-12.

But Holmes' try soon after gave them breathing space again.

EARLIER Live Blog: