Manufacturing is certainly alive and well in the Hunter. When the Hunter makes, the Hunter works!
The story of manufacturing in the Hunter contrasts with the current era of disruption being experienced in other industries.
The profiles of the HMA Finalist Companies reflects this story. Companies in the:
- 100 year plus range include McLanahan Corporation (in the USA), Bis Industries, DSI Underground (in Germany), Liberty Onesteel and Molycop (in successive ownerships) and Varley Group.
- 70 years plus include Steber International, Whiteley Corporation, Bridon Bekaert Rope Group (in successive ownerships)
- 50 years plus include Custom Fluidpower, Tomago Aluminium, Hi-Vis Signs, Nupress Group and Melvelle Equipment.
- Young companies are also very important including HMS Equipment, R&R Murphy, Hunter Valley Training and Catavolt.
- 20 of the 27 companies are also family owned which also provides stable foundations.
- At least 11 of the 27 are also exporters.
Congratulations to all the finalists and the strengths they bring to our industry, our region and our families.
Manufacturing is certainly alive and well in the Hunter.
While it seems a modern trend that jobs for life may be gone, careers for life in our industry are real living options. What remains true is that when the Hunter makes, the Hunter works.
Australian industry Group