A COAL rail line in the Upper Hunter is expected to reopen early this week following successful weekend work on the track after the derailment of a train last week.
The derailment occurred on Sandy Hollow-Gulgong rail line at Baerami, near Muswellbrook, early on Tuesday. No one was injured in the incident but six laden coal wagons came off the tracks and damaged more than 1.7 kilometres of the line, which has been closed since.
IN OTHER NEWS:Explorer of the Seas stops by Newcastle
Repairs over the weekend progressed well, the Australian Rail Track Corporation (ARTC) said on Sunday.
“ARTC is preparing for the resumption of services, which is currently forecast for early this week, subject to all works going well,” it said.
RELATED CONTENT:Coal train derailed in restricted speed zone
Following an on-site investigation into the derailment, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) said last week the incident occurred on a section of track that was under a temporary speed restriction of 20km/h.
“The speed restriction was imposed in order to mitigate risk due to a measured series of defects in the track,” the ATSB said.
IN OTHER NEWS:Plane makes emergency landing at beach