CITY of Newcastle's shuttle between McDonald Jones Stadium and the city will roll on for another month to allow negotiations to play out.
City of Newcastle chief executive Jeremy Bath said the one-month continuation of the service until June would allow discussions with potential operators to be completed.
The council confirmed on Tuesday that more than 580 people had offered feedback on the service, with 95 per cent satisfied or very satisfied with the service. They also supported paying more if a higher fee would secure the service's future.
"We expect to be in a position to make an announcement on the long-term future of Park and Ride by mid-May," Mr Bath said.
"The response to the surveys confirms the Park and Ride is a service of enormous value to commuters into the city."
The service had been due to end in March.
The May extension will continue to run 7am-9am and 3pm-6.30pm for the usual fee.
Free services will run from 3am between the stadium and Queens Wharf on Anzac Day to serve the Nobbys dawn service.