Jarryd Hayne will be served a new charge of sexual intercourse without consent today, when he returns to a Newcastle court over allegations he sexually assaulted and bit a 26-year-old woman at her home in the Hunter in 2018.
The charge is the second to be levelled against the embattled former rugby league star in relation to the same incident, for which he has already been charged with aggravated sexual assault inflicting actual bodily harm, in November last year.
The 31-year-old has pleaded not guilty to last year's charge.
The incident took place on the night of the NRL grand final in 2018, when police allege Hayne travelled in a taxi to the young woman's house in the Newcastle region.
At the house it is alleged he sexually assaulted the woman, ripping off her clothes and biting her on her genital area, drawing blood.
- IN OTHER NEWS:Man dies after Mother's Day shooting
She sought medical treatment for her injuries at a hospital the following day.
Previously-lodged court documents allege that the assault took place between 8pm and 10pm on September 30, when Hayne had "sexual intercourse with a 26-year-old female known to police, without her consent ... knowing that she was not consenting to the sexual intercourse in circumstances of aggravation".
Police further allege that the assault inflicted "actual bodily harm" on the woman.
It is understood the new charge relates to a specific sex act allegedly committed by Hayne that same night.
- IN OTHER NEWS: Ryan Callinan wins battle of nerves in Bali
The charge will be presented at Newcastle Local Court on Wednesday, where Hayne is expected to appear for a committal hearing.
At a brief court appearance at the end of last year, Hayne's lawyer Leo Premutico said the former footballer "maintains his innocence".
"A plea of not guilty will be entered; he'd like at this time to thank those who have offered him support, in particular his parents, his mother and father," Mr Premutico said outside Burwood Local Court for Hayne's appearance on December 10.