THOUSANDS of children across 400 schools, including students in the Hunter, will have to resit NAPLAN tests next Tuesday after technical glitches plagued the first round of testing.
Teachers have slammed the botched process as an "unnecessary disruption", after hundreds of schools across Australia reported ongoing dropouts, lags, difficulties logging in and problems inputting answers during exams.
The NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA), which administers NAPLAN, confirmed that a number of tests will be available to be taken again, with most to be done online.
"The majority of schools who have opted to resit tests have chosen to do so online," a spokesman for NESA said.
"The writing test was the main one affected by the connectivity issues on day one, however other tests that were affected are available to be re-sat next Tuesday as well.
"NESA is ensuring that every student has a fair and reasonable opportunity to resit the tests."
The problems follow calls to scrap the standardised tests, including from former NSW education minister Rob Stokes, who said last year the tests are distracting teachers and students from the curriculum and have become high-stakes with the online publication of results.
A review of NAPLAN is under way, but federal Education Minister Dan Tehan continues to back the tests, which states and territories are required to participate in to receive their share of federal funding.
President of the NSW Teachers' Federation Maurie Mulheron said holding resits is a waste of resources and will not fix fundamental issues with NAPLAN.
"The tests are poor tests and we're spending far too much time and resources on them already but to now have to resit them, the whole exercise is just a waste of time," Mr Mulheron said.
"What was going to be a bimodal test is now a trimodal test, it shows that the results cannot be authenticated and they certainly cannot be posted on the MySchools website.
"It's chaotic, it's another unnecessary disruption."
About 50 per cent of schools did the online NAPLAN tests this year and the rest continued to do the paper versions.
With the additional factor of glitches and resits that have affected the online half of the candidates, any comparisons of results will be invalid, head of the NSW Secondary Principals' Council Chris Presland said.
Mr Mulheron also said the number of schools opting to resit showed there shouldn't have been a significant expansion of the online tests in NSW after complaints were made last year.
"We really need to slow the whole process down and review what kind of testing regime we want in this country," Mr Mulheron said.
"NAPLAN really is a dud."
Schools were given a deadline of 4pm on Wednesday to opt in for the resits, but a teacher said many schools that experienced extensive issues couldn't fit an unscheduled NAPLAN test around planned activities.
The teacher, who did not want to be named, said about 65 per cent of students at her high school had experienced widespread technical issues, but the school couldn't fit in the resits next week.
"Even the concept of a resit shows a lack of understanding of how a school operates," she said.
"We have excursions and incursions and other learning activities. Three days for NAPLAN go in the calendar a year in advance, I don't know many high schools where things could be flexible now."
NSW Education Minister Sarah Mitchell also expressed her displeasure with the testing last week.
"I'm not happy ... [education ministers] need to sit down and have a serious conversation, firstly about what happened, how we use the data from this year's testing, and the impact it has had on the kids, and where we go from here in terms of things being online," Ms Mitchell said.
While you're with us, did you know The Herald is now offering breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up-to-date with all the local news - sign up here.
IN NEWS TODAY: